The student news source of The University of Alabama in Huntsville

The Charger Times

The Required Textbook

Photo credit to Adam Gonzales.
The Charger Times nor its writers own this image.

Photo credit to Adam Gonzales. The Charger Times nor its writers own this image.

Amy Dunham, Staff Writer

Every year I have the same debate:

“To buy, or not to buy?”

“To rent, or not to rent?”

And it seems to always go one of two ways.

The first way is that I wait until the first day of class – the dreaded and boring Syllabus Day (but that is another article) – and then scramble and panic to attempt to acquire the books I need before the next class. It can be a stressful process if a professor decides to assign homework from said book on the first day of class.

When, prior to a semester, I remember that stress and decide to attempt to do something about it, I scout out my books on the UAH Bookstore website at the end of July, see which ones are marked “Required,” and then head to Chegg and Amazon because it’s virtually guaranteed that renting there will be cheaper. I rent the ones that are required, get them in a comfortable amount of time before school starts, and am plenty prepared to attack class and any surprise first-week homework or other assignments. Then, upon going to said class on Syllabus Day, I hear the awful statement: “The book may be useful. I marked it because it will be a fair resource, but you don’t really need it for the course.”

What. The. Heck.

02942

Dear UAH Bookstore and Professors,

Why are “suggested” books marked as “required”?

There are many things about college that should be less expensive than they are. I don’t usually complain about them because UAH actually more affordable than most universities, and I respect that. However, textbooks are one of the things that ignite my soul and make me much more passionate than I really should be.

My one suspicion that I desperately hope is not true is that the UAH Bookstore requires each course instructor to specify a textbook for each courses. The purpose of this being, on the surface, to be sure each course is well supported, but really just to be able to sell more books. I suppose I would call this ridiculously impolite – asking college students to buy more things they do not need. I laugh at it, however, because personally, I never get my books from the on-campus bookstore anyway because they are horrendously overpriced.

In the first week of class, I want to be enthralled with the material I’m learning, not deeply annoyed by the amount of cash I’m spending on my textbooks – and especially not on books I will likely not touch during the semester.

Interestingly, this discussion opens the next can of worms: should I simply be devoted enough to my education to want to pay for every reference textbook and deepen my understanding of the subject? Am I simply not dedicated enough of a student?

It’s beside the point. I’m done being confused. I’m done spending hundreds for textbooks I won’t open. I’m ready to learn and do it efficiently, and I would appreciate the university’s support by making the book situation a bit simpler.

02942