The Charger Times

Stand Up Live Huntsville

Kelsey McKee, Staff Writer

If you are a fan of stand up comedy, then you have probably noticed the new comedy venue in Huntsville. Stand Up Live opened in mid-January at 2012 Memorial Pkwy SW– a location that was formerly home to Tai Pan Palace. The venue hosts a full kitchen and bar. The club has drawn comedians to Huntsville, including familiar names like D.L. Hughley and Ralphie May. A full calendar of upcoming performers is available on their website  where you can also find links to buy tickets.

https://twitter.com/standuplivehunt/status/843660480308764672

If you are going to see a show at Stand Up Live, there are a few things you should know. Parking is limited so it’s best to arrive early to find a spot. The entrance of the club is located on the side of the building; if you bought tickets online you can head on in through the side door. If you want to purchase tickets when you arrive the ticket booth is located at the front of the building– next to what looks like the main entrance but is actually the exit. Once inside the building you will see the bar and the hostess stand. The hostesses will ask you how many are in your party and you will be seated based on the number of people in your party and the availability of tables. The main room includes mostly four-top tables and several long community tables, so if your party is less than three or four you will likely be seated at a community table. The area is pretty cramped with all the tables and chairs, which may be annoying to some but ultimately adds to the community atmosphere and, of course, allows them to fit more people in the space. The club enforces a two-item minimum– items include food, soda, or alcoholic beverages. Items ordered at the bar are not included in your two-item minimum so it is best to wait until you have been seated to order a drink.

Based on my experience, I would warn anyone who comes here to bring their patience, as getting food and drinks takes some time. Perhaps the biggest downside of Stand Up Live is the prices. Appetizers and salads average around $10, while main menu items average around $14. The quality of the food was mixed. My $12 chicken tenders came with three tenders which were burnt and mostly inedible but my friend’s shrimp and grits were good. Their cocktails cost $10 each and beers range from $5-7. The venue automatically adds an 18% gratuity to everyone’s check. My night out at Stand Up Live– the ticket for the show, one appetizer, and two drinks—cost me over $50. I will go to Stand Up Live again when there are comedians I want to see, but not necessarily for the quality of food or service.

I would recommend Stand Up Live if you have money to spend or if there is a comedian coming that you want to see. It is a little overpriced– especially for a poor college student– so if you are interested in seeing comedy in town there are several local shows that I would recommend over a night at Stand Up Live. The EPIC Comedy Hour  takes place at the Flying Monkey Arts located in Lowe Mill on the fourth Friday of every month at 8pm. This show features 7-8 regional comedians; it costs only $8 and allows you to bring your own drinks. The Homegrown Comedy show  takes place on the second Friday of each month at Straight To Ale Brewery. It is only $5 and you can enjoy Straight To Ale’s great craft beer selection while you watch. There are also several comedy open mic nights each week at Maggie Meyers Pub and Copper Top Bar and Grill. The local comedy scene in Huntsville is bigger than you might think; you can find more information about local shows at the Huntsville comedy website and by following @hsvcomedy.