The student news source of The University of Alabama in Huntsville

The Charger Times

The Beekeeping Club

Members of the club assembling a fence.

Members of the club assembling a fence.

John Mark Norton

John Mark Norton

Members of the club assembling a fence.

John Mark Norton, Staff Writer

Honey bees, to most people, are just pesky little bugs that should be feared and avoided at all cost. This is unfortunately a common misconception. Honey bees are incredibly important to the world’s agricultural system due to their role in pollination. There is no better partner for a honey bee to aid in getting their work done than a friendly beekeeper. Beekeeping as a profession has slowly declined over time, allowing for common knowledge about bees and bee populations to decline as well. This prompts the question: what can we do about it? A few students at The University of Alabama in Huntsville have responded with the establishment of the Beekeeping Club.

The UAH Beekeeping club was launched at the beginning of the fall semester of 2016 by four sophomore roommates, Jacob Kunisch, Carlie Marsh, Luke Sarnecki, and Jake Davenport. The idea started when the group was thinking of ideas for a club. The research they did on the condition of bees and beekeeping inspired them to get the club started. Their goal is to allow students to gain hands on experience with honey bees. With this experience comes knowledge of and appreciation for all that bees contribute to the world. The club currently has 80 active members. As the club is still in its early stages, they are looking for members of all majors to allow for club growth. Members can look forward to helping in a number of ways as the club progresses. For instance, on February 11th, a few members from the club constructed fenced off areas on campus where they will be keeping the bees. More of these fences will be constructed and painted all around campus, so don’t miss an opportunity to help!

There are many things planned for future of the Beekeeping Club. Other goals of the club are to have large honey harvests and to start up a trend of beekeepers. The harvested honey will then be bottled and sold to pay for more events for the club and to help expand its reaches. In the future, engineering research opportunities will also be available; members in the engineering field will be able to use their skills to find new ways to improve the beekeeping and harvesting processes.

The only membership requirement is to attend one club meeting a month. Once a member, there are multiple positions available for students looking to become a strong part of the club. The four elected positions are President Jacob Kunisch, Vice President Jake Davenport, Treasurer Luke Sarnecki, and Secretary Carlie Marsh. Other positions related to the task of beekeeping are senior beekeeper, beekeeper, assistant beekeeper, and beginner. The PR head and the construction head are some examples other positions for people looking to manage the club rather than tend to the bees. To find out more information or to join the club contact beemail@uah.edu.