The student news source of The University of Alabama in Huntsville

The Charger Times

New Honors Courses FA17

Molly Stalons, Staff Writer

It’s that time of year again! Time to start planning your next college semester, Fall 2017 is upon us. Registration for Honors College students begins February 27. As always there are many Honors College courses available, from new seminars to new Honors courses. For a full list of Honors credit opportunities offered next semester and their course registration numbers click here.

This year the Honors College has created two new Honors Special Seminar courses HON 301 level. Section 01 (CRN 90001) course taught by Dr. Jeffrey Nelson, Wednesdays from 4:20PM to 5:40PM, will focus on Michael Frayn’s Copenhagen. This course will cover such topics as the ethics of science, the ethics of fiction, the nature of historical reconstruction, the role of judgement in science and history, and the language of uncertainty and indeterminacy. Section 02 (CRN 90002), Fridays from 1:00PM to 1:55PM, is called Planets, Exoplanets, and Other Worlds. Some topics covered in this course include Earth systems and climate, scientific uses of the moon, Mars exploration, the outer planets, propulsion systems, exoplanets and exoplanet biology, and the importance of planets in science fiction. The following lecturers have already been committed to this course, Dr. Richard Miller, Dr. Joe Ng, Dr. Jack Fix, Dr. Jason Cassibry, and Dr. Laurel Bollinger. Several NASA personnel have also been invited to give lectures.

In addition to these new 1 credit hour Honors courses there will also a section of Drawing Foundations, ARS 160-H1 (CRN 90380) and Intro to Rhetorical Communication, CM113-H9 (CRN 90811) available this Fall. These are not new Honors courses but this is the first time these courses have been made available in the Fall. For the first time, there will be one section of Honors Physics with Calculus II lecture session (PH112-H3 CRN 90440) offered for 4 hours total of honors credit. Previously students could take the Honors lab (PH 115 Sections H0, H1, H2, H3, H4) and receive four hours of Honors credit. Now the student must take the Honors lecture as well as the Honors lab to receive all possible credit. Taking the only Honors Physics lab will now result in only 1 hour of Honors credit and taking only the lecture course will result in only 3 hours of Honors credit.

Honors credit can also be obtained from taking the PHL 150 course this fall (CRN 91028). This course is worth 3 credit hours and occurs Mondays and Wednesdays from 9:40AM-11:00AM. The focus of this course is Technology, Science, and Human Values, wherein the question of what exists, the nature and extent of knowledge, and moral problems posed by technical and scientific change are addressed. This course will not be listed as an Honors section, but Honors credit can still be received if the course is contracted by an Honors student. To receive credit for this course you must contract the course. This course counts as a Humanity under the Charger Foundations (general education requirements).

For more information about Honors courses or about how to contract an Honors course please contact Beth Wilson at bsw0003@uah.edu . To see more announcements about new Honors College courses follow the Honors College on Facebook or Twitter @UAHHonors.