The Charger Times

Jazz Witchard

Jazz Witchard

Jazz Witchard

Amy Dunham, Staff Writer

Class: Third year
Major: Nursing
Age: 20

Jazmine Witchard is a campus personality. I’ve only had one class with her, but whenever I see her, she is always talking about something she’s involved in or chatting with a friend. I recently had the chance to sit down and talk with Jazz about her interests and life at UAH.

Amy: What are some of your likes?

Jazmine: I like music, Jesus, reading, crochet, and going to the gym.

A: What’s your favorite workout at the gym?

J: The elliptical is my favorite cardio workout, but the weight room is my favorite place in the gym. Besides the University Fitness Center, I also do Zumba at Riviera Fitness. It’s a lot of fun.

A: You’re excited about Jesus. Are you involved with a local ministry?

J: I go to the All Nations Christian Center on Winchester Road. I’m a greeter and work in the church store. Also, since I serve on a team, I get to go to intercessory prayer with other people that serve. That’s just coming together and praying over other people and situations. Basically, you are coving other people and what they’re going through in prayer – talking to God about their situation.

A: What are some of your dislikes?

J: A lack of parking on campus.

A: [laughs]. What else?

J: The racial tension going on right now. I just don’t like close-minded people in general.

A: Tell me how you chose your major.

J: So, when I was seven years old my dad was in the hospital. It was Christmas, so my mother was with him and also my parents couldn’t afford to give us a Christmas. When the nurses came to get us and take us to where we could see [my dad], they took us to a Christmas party they had set up for us.

That Christmas party, and the way the nurses treated my dad – not just like a piece of paper but like a person – I decided I wanted to be someone who could do that for somebody else. So, I’m studying nursing.

A: How is that nursing treating you so far?

J: It’s all right. I’ve taken human anatomy and microbiology, which will help once I’m actually in nursing school in pathophysiology. I’ve also taken the HESI exam, and passed with an 82! I’m still excited about nursing school – I’m shooting to get all A’s this semester to ensure I get in.

A: What do you do besides school?

J: I work on campus as a desk assistant in several of the dorms. I also sing. I used to be a part of the campus group Anointed Voices, but stepped out to focus on academics. However, I still sing with Christ Life, an off-campus group that records and travels out of state to perform. In April, we’ll be singing in Florida.

A: What do you like about UAH?

J: UAH has a good nursing program that they are continuing to build. It’s not too big, so I have the ability to have person-to-person contact with professors. Also, I can stay on campus even though I’m close to home. I chose to come to UAH because I came to an open-house after the new nursing building was opened, and I got excited about the program.

A: Do you have any advice for underclassmen?

J: Yes. Do not slack off at any point. If you fall behind, catching up is really hard and sometimes close to impossible. It’ll add more stress than if you just stay on top of everything. Don’t take any class lightly – even English and GEN-EDs –any slip-up could make an impact on your grade.

A: Lastly, got a fun fact about yourself?

J: I like to cook. Last week I made baked lemon-pepper tilapia and steamed broccoli, and I made it with actual lemon and pepper instead of that lemon-pepper salt, so it’s healthier. It’s a really quick, easy meal.