The Charger Times

Single Heart for Valentine’s Day

Sierra Tana, Staff Writer

It’s that time of year once again, when love fills the air as we celebrate with one another. No, I don’t mean Christmas, I’m talking about Valentine’s Day. This is the only day of the year where it is perfectly acceptable to spoil your significant other with lavish gifts, love-filled cards, and even romantic getaways to show your appreciation for that special someone. There are literally one million and one things for couples to do, to buy, and to go to every year on Valentine’s Day. However, this piece is not dedicated for couples (Sorry, #NotSorry). This is dedicated to all the single hearts for Valentine’s Day. If you’re anything like me, too awesome for a relationship, here are my top 3 reasons for why I still love being single for Valentine’s Day and you should too.

Reason #1 Taste Like Candy

There are only three major holidays where candy is the “go to” gift as well as the all-time best goodies: Easter, Halloween, and Valentine’s Day. Candy is sold throughout the year but around these holidays the bar is kicked up a notch because of the high demand for candy and, of course, to get more sales. For Valentine’s Day in particular, there are ample selections to choose from. Whether it be the heart shaped mints, fruity flavored chews with the cute messages, or my personal favorite, tasty milk chocolate, there is enough to satisfy every candy craving! This Valentine’s Day indulge in all things sweet!

Reason #2 Good Food Plus Good Friends Means Good Times

Just because you’re alone on Valentine’s Day doesn’t mean you must be alone literally. Due to Valentine’s Day being considered a “gift giving” holiday lots of restaurants have special deals and discounts for couples who dine out on Valentine’s Day. My best friend and I always partake in at least one Valentine’s Day dinner special whether it’s a two eat for the price of one deal or even a percentage off for every couple that eats at a restaurant. Having other single friends, you can hang out with on Valentine’s Day makes everything better. Besides what could be more fun than enjoying a good meal, with good friends, for a good price!

Reason #3 Me, Myself, & I

Beyonce said it best with her song entitled “Me, Myself, & I.” She basically describes her new-found independence and promises to love herself first even when no one else wants to love her. I know it’s a bit overwhelming when you’re single on Valentine’s Day but it’s a wonderful time to treat yourself as you would a partner. Take yourself on a shopping spree or out to dinner and a movie. Treat yourself to an exciting night out on the town or a quiet relaxing night inside. Being single on Valentine’s Day does not mean you have to be miserable, it just means you get an opportunity to appreciate yourself. In the words of J. Cole “love yourself, or nobody will.”