The student news source of The University of Alabama in Huntsville

The Charger Times

Huntsville’s First Comic Convention

Official Huntsville Comic Con poster

Official Huntsville Comic Con poster

Official Huntsville Comic Con poster

Raghu Vamsha, Staff Writer

Huntsville’s First Annual Comic Con is all set to welcome guests interested in a wide range of popular culture genres on February 10 & 11 at our nation’s largest privately owned arts facility Lowe Mill ARTS & Entertainment. This convention will feature many gaming demos and artist talks.

Space Exploration Friday is an event where guest speakers from NASA and private space companies will be sharing their expertise. In this event, UAH Associate Professor of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Dr. Jason Cassibry will be leading Panel #1 out of five panels. He and his team will be discussing the ongoing process of developing our Charger 1 Facility for research into pulsed fusion propulsion. Charger 1 Facility is a pulsed power facility currently being assembled at one of UAH’s laboratories in collaboration with NASA Marshall Space Flight Center and The Boeing Company. Additionally, Dr. Cassibry will be discussing the future of space propulsion and exploration.

Les Johnson, who is considered a space exploration expert, will lead panel #2. He plans to discuss some exciting topics like “how to make it to interstellar space” and other space exploration concepts. Panel #3 will be led by Niki Werkheiser, Project Manager for In-Space Manufacturing at NASA. She will discuss the advanced manufacturing efforts in space and explore how 3-D printing will restructure space construction and supply management. Dr. Rob Adams, the Advanced Propulsion Technologist who will head panel #4, will discuss how his Pulsed Fission-Fusion (PuFF) Concept will transform the way we travel within the solar system. At the end, panel #5 is a concert and talk given by the rock band Foot Pound Force.

The huge cosplay contest, which starts on Friday at 8 PM, costs no extra fee if you are a ticket holder. The winner of the Adult Category will receive a $100 VIP package and possibly other prizes. For those who are interested in participating in this contest, there is a set of rules available on Huntsville Comic Con’s website.

Additional events will include the Sailor Moon Concert featuring singer Jennifer Cihi, the voice actor behind Sailor Moon’s singing. This concert will take place Saturday night at 8 PM. The Rise Raptor Show is an event where Maximus the Eagle Owl and Curt Cearley will inspire the public to adopt principles of good stewardship and encourage people to be involved in scientific discovery and connect with our history and culture. Many media and cosplay guests, such as The Walking Dead’s Melissa Cowan and Chris Burns and comic book artists from Marvel and DC, will be available for autographs and questions from fans.

Tickets are on sale now, and prices are as follows:

Single-day Pass: $10 per person.

Two-Day Pass: $15 per person

To see what else Huntsville Comic Con has to offer, view the event schedule here. For additional information about Huntsville Comic Con, visit their website or check them out on their Facebook event page. On Twitter and Instagram, the official event hashtag will be #HSVcomiccon.