The Charger Times

Yellowhammer Brewing Company and Earth & Stone Wood Fired Pizza Review

Patio of Yellowhammer Brewing Co. and Earth & Stone Wood Fired Pizza

Kai Filbey

Kai Filbey

Molly Stalons, Staff Writer

Yellowhammer Brewing was born in 2010, right here in Huntsville, Alabama. Since then they brewery has undergone many changes and upgrades, such as moving to a new location at Campus 805, creating their own line of merchandise, and creating many new and exciting specialty beers.

Yellowhammer Brewing has a large beer selection on tap. A full updated menu can be found on their website menu. The menu is one of the more helpful beer menus that I have encountered as in addition to the name of the beer, the ABV % (usually between 4% and 11%), size of glasses (8oz, 12oz, 16oz when available), and price ($3-5 for 8oz, $4-6 for 12 oz, $5-6 for 16oz) available it also contains a brief description of how the beer tastes. Another great aspect of their menu, that I wish all breweries would incorporate, is the bitterness ranking that Yellowhammer Brewing gives all of their on tap beers. Bitterness is symbolized by a picture of hops next the name of the beer. One hop, such as with the Frankenhammer Strong Ale, means that the beer is not very bitter, whereas four hops, such as with the Groovy Don’s IPA, means the beer is bitter.

Of the beers I have tried, I can definitely recommend the Tobacco Road Imperial Amber if you like something a little bitter but with a lot of flavor. If you like darker malty beers try the Midnight Special, another of my favorites. If you would rather try a light beer, I would recommend the Belgian White, which has a light lime flavor. If you are looking for an IPA then try the popular Cheatin’ Heart IPA. If you are unsure what beers you want, you can order a flight of 6 beers.

At the Campus 805 location, Yellowhammer Brewing shares space with Earth and Stone Wood Fired Pizzas. This is a nice feature, especially in the winter because you do not have to leave the bar to get food, and thus far I have been impressed with the pizzas at Earth and Stone. Both pizzas that I have tried there, The Latham and The Peppadew, have been excellent! Unfortunately, there are a few downsides to having Earth and Stone share its location with Yellowhammer Brewing. The place is always super crowded around dinner time, so plan to get there a little before because there are not many tables. Another hassle is that you cannot order beer and pizza at the same time because these are technically two different establishments.

In addition to their on-tap beer menu, Yellowhammer Brewing also has six-packs of their flagship beers available in certain stores throughout Huntsville. The flagship beers are the Belgian White (ABV ~4.8%), Rebellion (a red lager, ABV ~5.8%), the Black Lager (a schwarzbier ABV ~5.8%), and Hops Fell (a hop lager ABV ~5.5%). In addition to the flagship beers which are for sale all there long, Yellowhammer Brewing also has four packs of different seasonal beers throughout the year. The upcoming seasonal beers are Miracle Worker (a Belgian pilsner, ABV ~9%) available in May, Tobacco Road (ABV ~ 9.4%) available in August, Hop Revival (ABV ~9.2%) available in mid-March, and 1819 Dubbel (ABV ~8.5%) available after Thanksgiving.

They also have merchandise available to buy in the taproom and online. Most of the merchandise prominently features their memorable Yellowhammer logo. They offer license plates, bottle openers, assorted clothing items, and Frisbees as well as assorted drinking mugs and glasses such as pilsner, steins, pints, and growlers in glass and stainless steel. At the time of my visit, Yellowhammer Brewing offered free stickers with the brewery moto if you asked the bartenders.

Yellowhammer Brewing is open from 11am-9pm Mon.-Wed., 11am-11pm Thurs.-Sat., and 11am-8pm Sun. The address is 2600 Clinton Ave W, Huntsville, Alabama. For information about upcoming events and new beers visit either their Facebook page or follow them on Twitter @YellowhammerAle or Instagram @yellowhammer_brewing.

Map of the United States marking brewery locations.