The student news source of The University of Alabama in Huntsville

The Charger Times

Ask UAH: Who Will Win the 2016 World Series?

Amy Dunham, Staff Writer

In this year’s Major League Baseball World Series Championship, my question was not simply who would win – but who students at The University of Alabama in Huntsville thought would win, or more importantly, if anyone besides our baseball players know that the World Series Championship exists. Refreshingly, I found at least 23 individuals on campus who are aware that the World Series is a baseball event.

Who do you think will win the 2016 World Series?

• Chicago Cubs (50%, 1 Votes)
  • Cleveland Indians (50%, 1 Votes)

Total Voters: 2

Loading ... Loading ...

First: a recap. This year’s World Series has come down to a battle between the Chicago Cubs and the Cleveland Indians. Game 1 on Tuesday was a smashing at-home success for the Cleveland Indians, with a record-setting performance from star pitcher Corey Kluber. Kluber struck out eight of his first nine batters in the first three innings. His performance was accompanied by a solid close-out by relieving pitcher Andrew Miller and multiple homeruns from catcher Roberto Perez. There were also several critical missteps from the Cubs’ defense, including a less than stellar showing from starting pitcher Jon Lester. The final score was 6-0, Cleveland.

Game 2 on Wednesday was a display of young prowess from 23-year-old Kyle Schwarber, who missed all of the regular season recovering from a torn ACL during spring training, but took a walk and hit a double for 2 RBI. This was coupled with a poor showing from the Indians’ pitching mound, which rotated through seven pitchers in the nine innings. After an exciting first few innings of runs for the Cubs, the game stretched on to four hours but still finished ahead of the impending weather. The Cubs won after the top of the 9th, 5-1.

Wednesday morning, before Game 2, I took to the Charger Union to find out what the students of UAH thought. Surveying 24 passerby, 15 said the Cubs would win, while 9 believed the Indians would take home the series. Several students had additional comments regarding their decision. In support of the Cubs, two students mentioned that they had never heard of the Cleveland Indians before. While the Indians have not played in a World Series since 1997, or won since 1948, they have made it to the American League Championship as recently as 2007. However, as Bob Nightengale sharply noted in his commentary of Game 1 for usatoday.com, Cleveland has a “dossier of ugly [athletic] history,” that would make flying under the radar of a typical UAH student understandable.

Other students mentioned the Chicago Cubs’ much lengthier World Series drought. The last time the Cubs won the World Series was in 1908, despite the fact that they have won the National League pennant seven times since then. Two students in particular believed the Indians would win the series, but sincerely hoped that the Cubs would be able to rally to victory against the odds and break the drought.

However, as with any sporting event – there is only one way to discover who will be victorious, and that is to watch the games themselves. The series moves to the Cubs’ Wrigley field for the next three games, which are Friday, Saturday, and Sunday at 7pm Central. If necessary, Games 6 and 7 will be played back at Progressive Field on Tuesday and Wednesday. All games are shown on FOX.