The Charger Times

Alchemy Lounge

Amy Dunham, Staff Writer

At its loosest definition, the newly opened Alchemy Lounge at Lowe Mill is a coffee shop – but after spending an evening there, one would argue that it is much more than your typical café. A delightful combination of homey and hip-chic, the Lounge offers a variety of classic drinks along with curiously concocted specialty beverages in a comfortable and casual space. A friend and I went during Alchemy Lounge’s grand opening Saturday to sample a few items from the menu and take in the unique atmosphere.

Standing in line to order, we took in the dimly lit room: a collection of modern chairs, cozy benches, and the rustic wood floor of Lowe Mill blended with modern wall art and a sophisticated yet old-fashioned kitchen space. One of the Lounge’s owners, John Stough, welcomed us with a smile, free iced tea, and kombucha. The kombucha proved to be a learning experience. Described by Alchemy’s menu as “fizzy, madly sweet, and tart”, it is “intended as a functional beverage with health benefits” which meant that it was fermented and tasted and smelled much like a berry vinaigrette; we could not finish the whole glass. The iced tea, on the other hand, was smoothly sweet and satisfactory, and we had every last drop including the ice cubes, which were drenched in the sugary-sweet dregs.

A stage set in the corner of the Lounge’s dining space suggests it will be home to many casual coffeehouse concerts, and last night was no exception – a small group took the stage to play a few quality covers as the evening grew. As the set warmed up, my friend and I ordered two specialty items: the Bullet and an Affogato. The Bullet, a coffee-based drink with butter and a “superfood blend,” was drinkable but reminiscent of a watery mocha. The Affogato (more aptly described as a dessert than a drink) consisted of a tiny scoop of gelato and a shot of espresso which would be poured over. The creamy gelato paired favorably with the bitter but smooth espresso, forming a sort of deluxe coffee-float.

Alchemy Lounge proved to be a mix of the eclectic, eccentric, bizarre, charming, cozy, warm, and innovative. There are definitely more items on the menu that beg for a return visit: the seasonal menu boasts a “Blurple Tisane”, composed of blue tea, mint and citrus, as well as an “Americola”, which pairs a Mexican Coke with a double shot of espresso. The atmosphere is hip, clever, and inviting. The staff are friendly, and, altogether, the Alchemy Lounge offers the quintessence of a Huntsvillian coffee joint: skillfully engineered beverages presented in a comfortable artistic space.

Alchemy Lounge is located in Studio 2073 of Lowe Mill in Huntsville, AL. More information, including hours, location, and menu, may be found at www.alchemyhsv.com. Follow the Alchemy Lounge on Twitter @AlchemyHSV or on Facebook at Alchemy Lounge.