The student news source of The University of Alabama in Huntsville

The Charger Times

Lacrosse: The Inaugural Season

Sheladia Jay, Staff Writer

On December 2, 2014, The University of Alabama in Huntsville Department of Athletics announced the new Men and Women’s Lacrosse teams, increasing the amount of varsity sports at UAH to a total of eighteen.

Gail Wallach is the Head Coach of the team, Destinee Johnson is the Assistant Coach, and Ashley Carpenter is the Director of Operations. Guided by Gail Wallach, UAH will begin the season with a roster of twenty-two players, a collection from eleven states among which five student-athletes are from the state of Alabama. Megan Hart and Nicole Federovitch are both on the Gulf South Conference Offensive Player of the Year watch list, while Sierra Luciano and Emily Wiegand featured for the GSC Defensive Player of the Year watch list.

The UAH Women’s Lacrosse team opened its inaugural season February 10, 2016 against Montevallo with a splendid victory of 17-7. UAH is now 1-0 while Montevallo ducks to 1-1 with one win in their season inaugural.

Nicole Federovitch ruled the game statistics with seven goals in the match and five goals in the first half. She also added a ground ball on defensive and one assist to the scores. Natalie Pachinger added three goals with one ground ball. Rachel Hejduk and Elizabeth Brown added two goals each. Rachel accumulated two additional ground balls and Elizabeth accumulated four. Haleigh Comp, the Charger’s goalie, saved six goals in the match.

UAH led the game from the first half. Nicole scored four goals and Pachinger scored in the final fifteen minutes of the first half. At the end of the first thirty minutes, UAH was in the lead by 12-3. In the second half, Montevallo was able to club up four goals but the Chargers were still in the lead by scoring five more goals in the second half and ending the game at 17-7. Federovitch scored more goals in both quarters with highest team score.

Head Coach Gail Wallach praised, “We’ve been working really hard to get to this point, and I couldn’t be more proud of our team and coaching staff for their effort in this inaugural win and we are also looking forward to getting back to work and continuing to improve this season.”

The Chargers for their first season will compete only in the Gulf South Conference along with Montevallo, Shorter, and Young Harris.  The pre-season coaches’ poll predicts that UAH and Montevallo will finish the league with a tie. Young Harris is expected to finish at first and Shorter will be second to finish.

The Chargers will continue their season start up journey of 2016 with Rockhurst on February 20, Lindenwood-Belleville on February 21, and with Shorter on February 24. UAH will open its home slate on February 27, 11AM against Indianapolis.