The student news source of The University of Alabama in Huntsville

The Charger Times

Filed under Campus Events

Native American Heritage Celebration is a Huge Success

Dr. Roberto Dansie, founder and CEO of Cultural Wisdom

On November 6, Dr. Roberto Dansie of the Toltec Tribe, a nationally acclaimed author and founder and CEO of Cultural Wisdom, spoke to the UAH audience. Dr. Dansie’s first presentation was a free morning event that was open to the public and held in the UC Exhibit Hall. His invigorating, engaging, informative, and moving presentation was entitled, “Cultural Wisdom: The 4 Elements, Conscience, Conduct, Culture, and Community” and the evening topic was, “Narrative Medicines: Stories and Legends.”

The events were hosted by the Office of Multicultural Affairs with a goal to provide a safe educational environment fostering personal growth and development for all UAH students, faculty, and staff. “We celebrate diversity by acknowledging the value of cultural diversity, freedom and equality for all people, and the continued efforts to strengthen our communities.” They also offer guidance, academic support, and leadership opportunities that focus on creating mature, aware, and socially responsible individuals who advocate social justice. Finally, they want to build fun and positive communities which honor and celebrate diversity.

There is only one race, the human race. Everything else is just culture.”

— Dr. Dansie

“There are 24 ways of smiling but only one is real.” Dr. Dansie said that smiling is a universal expression. The feeling of amity he gave reflected on his accolade of winning the World Championship of Martial Arts in Pussan, Korea. His opponent and his opponent’s father, the ex-world champion, had learned English before he arrived and also provided Korean hospitality before the match began. Dr. Dansie was invited to their home and he came to a realization that although they were enemies, they could still learn from each other and get along. His opponent’s father also shared some of his secret herbal concoction, which greatly reduced the amount of time the current world champion had to practice, as a gesture of their friendship.

On the day of the match, 40,000 people watched from the stands. In a world of many colors, they both had one vision…one goal… to be the best. “In a world where everything is dark, the brightest light is inside of you. The energy that is within you is 100% under your control. If you can master yourself with your eyes closed, you will be undefeatable.” Dr. Dansie took this advice to heart and as a result of his training and his time spent in Korea, he narrowly won by one point.

Dr. Dansie accomplished other exceptional achievements as well, such as running with Native American elders on an active volcano in California for 120 miles. He did this again recently with his 16-year-old daughter. The dynamic speaker concluded his presentation by saying, “Cultural wisdom is the collective insights of our ancestors which guide us on our journey to our true self. There is only one race, the human race. Everything else is just culture.”

For those who wish to be active in their community, he encouraged listeners to volunteer at a reservation. And for more information on Roberto Dansie, visit his website.