The student news source of The University of Alabama in Huntsville

The Charger Times

UAH Theatre Department Presents “I and You” by Lauren Gunderson

Poster for

Poster for "I and You"

UAH Theatre Department

UAH Theatre Department

Poster for "I and You"

John Mark Norton, Staff Writer

As its most recent production, The University of Alabama in Huntsville’s Theatre department presented “I and You” by Lauren Gunderson. As one of the top produced playwrights in America, Gunderson clearly knows how to capture the attention of her audience with incredible stories. “I and You” takes the audience on an emotionally gripping journey through the developing relationship of two unlikely friends. “I and You” presents an experience that will be enjoyable for theater aficionados, casual viewers, and Grammar Nazi’s alike.

I and You tells the story of two high school students: Caroline and Anthony. The play opens in Caroline’s room as Anthony, one of her classmates, bursts in and begins talking about a school project that is due the next day. Startled by the stranger’s abrupt and random entrance, she is immediately hostile towards him. After a couple minutes of hilarious bickering, they reach an agreement to work on the project together. As the play progresses, the two gradually reveal personal things to each other. From this exchange, the audience learns that Caroline is suffering from a rare disease that confines her to her room for the majority of her days. This information starts the two teenagers on deep conversations that are as enthralling as they are emotional. As they work on the project, more is revealed about the two, including their thoughtful and passionate natures. The play progresses through an incredibly meaningful and humorous narrative that brings to life the term “time flies when having fun” with a dumfounding twist at the end.

John Mark Norton
Actors Savannah Rutherford and Bakari Prigg reading poetry.

“I and You” brings multiple messages through two vastly different characters’ developing a friendship that breaks the mold in today’s teenage clique-y culture. Typical high school drama productions seem to always have a theme revolving around rivalry; it either depicts an underdog-showing-the-world type scenario or a turf war amongst different groups. “I and You” opposes this pop culture stereotype. The process of two unlikely people becoming friends is magical to witness while still being grounded in reality. The depth these two high schoolers show in their conversations concerning poetry, typical teenage angst, the hardships of living in a broken world, and the meaning of life itself, is really refreshing to witness in today’s superficial culture.

The UAH Theater program did a stellar job with this rendition of “I and You.” The seating of Wilson Theater surrounded the beautifully designed set, presenting a more personal atmosphere. The lighting and sound gave the set a dream-like state into which the audience was sucked. Under the direction of Amy Guerin, the actors portraying Caroline and Anthony really made the characters come to life. Make sure to check out more of what UAH’s Theater department is doing in the future here! The Theatre department is also on Facebook and Twitter @uahtheatre!