The student news source of The University of Alabama in Huntsville

The Charger Times

New Research Journal Focuses on Undergraduates

Members of Perpetua

Members of Perpetua

John Mark Norton

John Mark Norton

Members of Perpetua

Kelsey McKee, Staff Writer

While studying at The University of Alabama in Huntsville, many undergraduates can participate in research through the Honors College, volunteering or working in professors’ labs, and the Research or Creative Experience for Undergraduates (RCEU) Program. However, until now many students lacked an outlet through which their research could be published. Perpetua: The UAH Journal of Undergraduate Research now provides these students with the opportunity to have their research published.

Perpetua is a new research journal that was created for the specific purpose of publishing undergraduate research from UAH students. Perpetua is an interdisciplinary journal which welcomes submissions from all majors and fields of study. All submissions are reviewed by experts in the field of research relevant to the manuscript to help select quality articles for publication. The journal accepts submissions from students who have completed research and creative projects under the mentorship of a faculty/researcher mentor. The research staff and faculty at UAH have been encouraging and supportive of students to submit because they realize it is a great opportunity to have work published as an undergraduate.

Perpetua is a student-run publication which means that ¾ in addition to publishing undergraduate research ¾ undergraduate students serve as the editors and staff of the journal. The editorial staff learn the ins and outs of the publication process and gain skills and experience that they can use in their careers. Whether students want to work in publishing or plan to have a career in research, working on the journal provides a unique opportunity for those who are interested in any field.

UAH is known as a research university, which separates it from other universities in that students here have more opportunities to work with faculty or research staff during their undergraduate years than they would at other schools. By participating in research and having research published at the undergraduate level, students get a taste of what its like in the real world. In classes, students have to take tests where there is a right and a wrong answer. By doing research, they are learning how to discover new knowledge and how to solve problems that do not have an answer. Now students who take part in research have the chance to claim responsibility, write about their research, and have it published. This is a great opportunity for students to get involved, gain valuable skills, and add something concrete to their resume.

Perpetua was established fall of 2015 when Dave Cook, Student Research Program Coordinator, was approached by Dr. Yu Lei, Assistant Professor, Chemical and Materials Engineering Department, who expressed great interest in the possibility of UAH having an undergraduate research journal. Cook had been considering the same idea for some time and was glad to find someone to collaborate with. Together they held the first interest meeting and chose the first editors. The founding staff was faced with the challenge of creating a new research journal from the ground up. The first issue was published in the fall of 2016 and featured articles covering subjects such as English, physics, history, biology, and computer science. “I’m really proud of what the students did,” says Cook, “and I hope this is a long-lasting venture because it benefits everybody- and it’s fun!”

The journal is currently accepting submissions for their second volume, to be published this Spring in concurrence with Research Horizons Day and research week. Students who are interested in submitting their work can find more details on the Perpetua website. Students who are interested in joining the staff can get more information by contacting perpetua@uah.edu.