The student news source of The University of Alabama in Huntsville

The Charger Times

Honors Study Abroad Grant

UAH Honors College Twitter

UAH Honors College Twitter

Madison Thompson, Staff Writer

The Honors Study Abroad Grant is a new grant that will be offered to students in the Honors College that can be used to cover the costs of airfare for students who study abroad. The grant reimburses students for a value which varies depending on the region that their study abroad program is located. Students visiting some areas can receive up to $2800 worth of reimbursement. The Honors College decided to organize this grant because it was a way to give back to the hardworking honors students and help to provide more students with the chance to study abroad. “It’s a great opportunity for Honors students to see the world while they are learning,” said Beth Wilson, the Honors advisor. The grant is paid for by the new Honors college fee which was implemented this Fall.

Those who wish to apply may begin by choosing the exchange or program that they would like to participate in and then meeting with Beth Wilson and Dr. David Johnson, the Study Abroad Director, to discuss eligibility for the grant. In order to be eligible, a student must be in good standing with the Honors College and must have completed at least 6 hours of Honors credit before the program begins. Students on Honors College probation may still apply for the grant. Students must also have submitted or be in the process of submitting an application for a study abroad program. The selection of recipients will be made by an ad hoc selection committee that is made up of members of the Honors Council and members with knowledge in global studies, study abroad, and foreign cultures and languages. Honors students who study abroad are expected to document their experience through a blog or pictures on social media. The Honors Study Abroad Grant has two annual deadlines. The deadline to apply for Summer and Fall programs took place in January while the deadline for applicants to apply for Spring Programs occurred in September.

Students who are interested in studying abroad can set up an appointment to meet with either Dr. David Johnson or Beth Wilson, or visit the study abroad site. Those who are unsure about when or where they want to travel are encouraged to meet with an advisor so that they can point them to resources and help them decide the best study abroad course.

UAH Honors College Twitter