The student news source of The University of Alabama in Huntsville

The Charger Times

Universities Crack Down on Sexual Assault

UAH conducts Rape Aggression Defense classes at least once a semester.

UAH Police Department Facebook

UAH Police Department Facebook

Marcell Johnson, Staff Writer

Universities across the nation have been taking measures to end sexual assault on campus by educating their students about consent and risk prevention. One of these measures is to use online courses to educate incoming students on ethics and alcohol’s effects on behavior. One such course, AlcoholEdu, is required for all incoming undergraduate students at Elon University in North Carolina, Ohio State University, and the University of Connecticut. At Indiana University, orientation includes a musical that covers topics such as negative gender stereotypes and sexual assault. The University of California-Santa Cruz designed a “Consent Week” program to discuss topics such as violence in the gay community and cultural attitudes about sex and rape.

Some colleges have taken a more indirect approach toward reducing sexual assault. According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, 97,000 college-age students reported experiencing alcohol-related sexual assault or date rape in 2015. Institutions such as the University of Notre Dame, Amherst College, and Stanford University have countered this by banning hard alcohol altogether, while some small liberal arts colleges including Williams College, Alfred University, and Santa Clara College have banned fraternities from their campuses. “Fraternity men are three times more likely to commit rape than non-fraternity men” is a widely-quoted statistic from a 2007 study in the NASPA Journal, though the merits of this statistic are questionable.

At The University of Alabama in Huntsville, there are a number of preventative measures in place. Rape Aggression Defense is a sexual assault prevention course offered once a semester at UAH.

Rape Aggression Defense teaches practical crime prevention tips such as how to protect oneself at home, in a hotel room, or other settings where people are most vulnerable. Every May, Student Affairs, Crisis Services of North Alabama, and the campus police work together on the “Clothesline Project”, a national program created to help the survivors of sexual assault or domestic violence. Survivors decorate t-shirts with messages and hang them on clotheslines in the Charger Union. The fraternity Pi Kappa Alpha, a UAH fraternity, is a partner with “It’s On Us.” “It’s On Us” is a national public awareness and education campaign launched by the Obama Administration that empowers college communities to take a stand against sexual assault. Though the campaign’s primary focus is sexual assault prevention, it also focuses on how universities can design inclusive policies and procedures to deal with any incidents that occur.

According to Dianna L. Marshall (Captain of the UAH Police), “I worked at another university for twenty years. In comparison, what we have here [at UAH] as far as alcohol-related issues: it’s very small. There’s always concern about attention we need to give to alcohol and alcohol issues and making responsible choices. But there are institutions of [UAH’s size] and bigger that have bigger problems.” UAH’s sexual misconduct policy is located in the Annual Security Report.

If you or someone you know has been a victim of sexual assault or sexual violence, contact the UAH Police Department.

For more information on the Clothesline Project or the Rape Aggression Defense class, contact the UAH Police Department on Facebook and Twitter.