The student news source of The University of Alabama in Huntsville

The Charger Times

UAH Runners Set New Records

Vicky Winslow at Track meet.

Vicky Winslow at Track meet.

Photograph taken by Chuck Edgeworth from uahchargers.com

Vicky Winslow at Track meet.

Amy Dunham, Staff Writer

March 11-12 marked the end of the 2016 indoor track season with Women’s College Division II Indoor Nationals held in Pittsburg, Kansas.  For three athletes of The University of Alabama Huntsville, it was the end of a remarkable season: Katelin Barber, Ackiesha Burnett, and Vicky Winslow all placed in their respective events and all set new school records.

Barber, ran the 60-meter dash and shaved a hundredth of a second off her previous record to finish with a time of 7.41 in the preliminary heat.  She ended the meet taking 4th overall in the finals with a time of 7.44.

Burnett took nearly a tenth of a second off her previous record in the 60-meter hurdles, knocking her previous time of 8.47 set last year down to 8.39. This was also in the preliminary round. Burnett finished out with 5th place overall in a time of 8.52.

Winslow took to the track for the mile, and finished in 13th place with the time of 4:57.41, which takes almost a second off the previous program record of 4:58.27 that was set in 2012.

However, a runner’s season is never really over, these athletes moved on to their first outdoor meets of the season over spring break, March 18 – 19, at the Alabama Relays held at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa, and March 25 – 26, at the Montevallo Falcon Classic.