The student news source of The University of Alabama in Huntsville

The Charger Times

Softball: Girls with Sticks

Sheladia Jay, Staff Writer

The Women’s Softball team opens up at PBC-GSC Showdown with rank 18 in the NFCA Division II Pre-season Coaches Poll. UAH begins the year ranked in the National Top 25 again. The head coaches of the GSC picked the Chargers to finish second in the league this year. The Chargers so far have won the matches by 8-2 with five continuous winning strikes. They hope to continue this winning streak at Charger Park on Friday, February 19, 2016, where UAH will play against Truman State at 1 PM.

The Chargers are making this season a triumph with their excellence of play and creation of new UAH softball records. The Chargers did well by winning eight games out of ten, among which the Chargers defeated the number one team of the NFCA poll, North Georgia and both have equal wins against each other of 1-1. For game-by-game, statistics click here. The Chargers have seven new faces on their crew this season. Among them, Taylor Wascavage and Jada Hayes were leading players at Hartselle High School and won the 2014 State Championship in their junior season.

Kaitlyn Bannister has earned one of the fifty positions in NFCA/Schutt Sports Division II National Player of the Year Watch List. The list, voted on by the NFCA Division II All-American/Coaching Staff of the Year Committee, consists of one member from each of the NFCA’s eight regions. She also received Daktronics/Division II CCA All-American Honorable Mention and Daktronics/Division II CCA South Region Player of the Year in 2015.

Savannah Smith was announced the GSC player of the week in its first weekly awards of 2016. She had the team best batting average of 0.636. She was also 7-for-11 at the plate, with three home runs, drawing a team high-five walk. Smith recorded an on-base percentage of 0.750.

Brianna Sullivan became UAH’s all time steal leader with hundred and thirty-three career steals. She joined UAH in 2013 and started 60 contests for the Chargers in her freshman season. Brianna finished the year as the league leader in walks while ranking second in runs and stolen bases. She also placed third in on-base percentage. In 2014, she recorded 55 starts and appeared in 57 contests for the Chargers during her sophomore season. She finished second on the team with 44 steals to help UAH set the GSC single-season record for stolen bases. In 2015, she ranked in the top 10 in the GSC in batting average, hits, at-bats, sacrifice bunts, and stolen bases. Now, she has made the record for the highest career steals of UAH.

Kaitlyn Bannister and Savannah Smith are the batting leaders this season. Kaitlyn scored five runs against Simon Fraser and Savannah made seven RBIS against Columbus State. Tyler Harrison has made thirteen putouts while Jade Hayes assisted six times; both are the Fielding leaders so far this season. Tyler Harrison and Emily Glover are the pitching leaders so far in this season. Tyler is also the highest innings pitcher and leads in strikeouts.

Head Coach Les Stuedeman and Assistant Coach Melanie Carter both work hard to push team spirit and develop the best in the players. Stuedeman has been the coach of UAH Softball since 1995 and has been leading the Chargers to an impressive record of 934-294-1. Stuedeman transforms her ideas into winning tradition and thus she is the fifth active winning coach in Division II.

For further information about game high leader statistics, click here. For more news on the Women’s Softball team, headlines and upcoming events, visit www.uahchargers.com.